Hall Road Rangers showed plenty of grit and resilience on Saturday afternoon as they extended their winning run to six league games with a 2-3 victory against Hessle Rangers.

Hall Road had a number of opportunities in the first half. These included efforts from Cameron Davies and Luke Bullement which were saved and a Dave Harrison shot that hit the post.

In the 25th minute, Tom Iversen was brought down inside the Hessle box and the referee awarded Hall Road a penalty. Skipper Lewis Andrew stepped up and dispatched the spot kick to bag his third goal of the season.

Later in the half, Hessle had a goal disallowed for an adjudged foul on Hall Road keeper Haydn Withill. The hosts also saw an effort crash back off the crossbar just before half-time.

Hessle initially had the better of the second half as they kept hold of the ball and posed a threat on the Hall Road goal. The hosts equalised in the 51st minute as Harry Watts hit a shot from the outside of his right boot which floated into the back of the net.

Withill produced a good save in the 55th minute to tip away a Hessle free-kick. Five minutes later, Hessle took the lead when Ashley McWilliam produced an audacious lobbed effort from inside his own half which looped over Withill and nestled in the Hall Road net.

Tom Oliver got Hall Road back on level terms in the 72nd minute with his fifth goal of the campaign as he slotted home. In the 87th minute, Bullement grabbed a superb winning goal with an absolute screamer of a long range effort.

MOTM- David Kocsis

Hall Road Rangers: Withill, Pulford, Kocsis, Davies (Chaffer 64’), Wray, Andrew (C), Shepard, Iversen (Phillips 78’), Oliver, Harrison (Salter 64’).

Giving his post-match thoughts, Hall Road manager Chris Burke said:

“Today’s game was certainly a different affair to last week’s encounter against Scullies.

I thought we started the game confidently and had good passages of play, but we just couldn’t string anything together with any real purpose. We managed to get the goal advantage through the penalty, but after that we seemed to drop off and let Hessle back into the game.

The half-time whistle probably came at a good time as it gave us chance to have a chat and regroup. Unfortunately, we didn’t start the second half as I wanted us to and we soon found ourselves 2-1 down.

Like last week, the boys dug deep. They managed to not only get themselves back into the game, but kick on again with a moment of magic from Bully who hit a rocket from all of 30 yards.

It certainly wasn’t the prettiest of games for the neutral, but full credit to Hessle as they gave us more of a game than I expected. I wish Harley & Lewis all the best down there.

I said to the lads afterwards that good teams win ugly and this week is exactly that. It’s another three points and keeps us within touching distance, but the most important thing is keeping that confidence and buzz around the dressing room.

We don’t have a game now until the away cup fixture against Brid on the 15th, so we’ll have the boys in for training and be ready to go then. It’s a free hit for us, so let’s see what happens.”