Hall Road Rangers 4, Skegness Town 1

Haworth Park

Buildbase FA Vase Second Qualifying Round

Saturday September 23

By Neil Winsor

Photograph supplied by Lee Myers

Photo: Danny Chambers looks to work some space during his two goal show against Skegness Town (a full catalogue of photos can be found at https://www.facebook.com/pg/Hall-Road-Rangers-Official-233090853409465/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1644346558950547

Image may contain: 1 person, playing a sport, grass and outdoor

HALL Road Rangers moved into the first round of this year’s FA Vase with a comfortable win over Lincolnshire league side Skegness Town at Haworth Park.

The visitors battled valiantly against a Rangers side two division’s their senior, but ultimately the added quality in the Hall Road camp proved decisive in booking their place in the first round proper for the second year running.

Danny Norton’s opener midway through the first was immediately cancelled out by a George Hobbins penalty before Danny Chambers struck to send Rangers ahead at the break.

Further goals after the interval, including the pick from substitute Josh Batty, and a late second for Chambers gave the score a comprehensive look to it, however Skegness were in the game up until the hour.

In an even opening, Chambers dragged an effort wide on six minutes in the best chance of this period, whilst James Piercy had to block an early effort.

Hall Road took the lead on 23 minutes.

A long Gareth Owen throw in from the left was kept out by the Skegness keeper via Chambers and the crossbar, however Norton reacted to the rebound to tap home

The lead was shortlived though as almost straight from the kick off a sweeping move through the centre was abruptly halted in the Rangers penalty area, and Hobbins stepped up to convert the spot kick cooly sending Dobson the wrong way.

The scores were only level for six minutes though.

Chris Spinks corner was headed goalwards by James Piercy at the near post, and the final deflection appeared to come off Chambers to divert the ball into the net.

Skegness continued to be brave in possession though as a cross from the left found right full back Warren but failed to control his first time volley.

Hall Road introduced both Batty and Joe Cooper in the early stages of the second half, and Batty made sure of the win on 65 minutes.

The lively substitute latched onto a Conner Harman ball in behind the defence, and on the bounce Batty calmly lofted the ball over the keeper into the net.

Hall Road saw out the closing stages well, but Dobson did have to get down quickly to tip a low effort round the post before Rangers added their fourth late on.

A left-flank corner was whipped in and from six yards out, Tom Bennett’s flick on was met inside the six yard box by Chambers who prodded home underneath the keeper.

From the dugout – By Bill Gill

“The game went exactly as I thought.

Skegness were a young and enthusiastic team that were very good in possession of the ball, but just lacked that end product and experience at this level.

Our lads were at it straight from the off, everything we discussed before the game went as planned.

The players did what was asked of them and we eventually killed off the game.

The score line was a little flattering, but in recent games we have not had that bit of luck or not been clinical enough and it all paid off.”

View from the pitch – By Tom Bennett and Danny Norton