It was a very frustrating Saturday afternoon for Hall Road Rangers as they lost 0-1 to Hedon Rangers at Haworth Park.

Hall Road had a chance to take the lead inside the fourth minute of the game when a James Murray header was tipped over the bar by Hedon goalkeeper Tom Rouse. A few minutes later, Rouse made another good save to deny Sam Loughton.

Lewis Andrew had a free kick saved by Rouse and then Tom Iversen’s follow up was well saved in the 26th minute. At the other end, Hall Road keeper Haydn Withill made a good save to prevent Joe Wood from putting the visitors ahead.

Tom Oliver became the next Hall Road player to be denied by Rouse as the Hedon keeper continued to impress.

In the 47th minute, some good interplay between Tom Oliver and Luke Bullement resulted in the latter firing an effort wide. Hedon then started to grow into the game as they began to see more of the ball and looked to threaten the Hall Road goal.

After coming off the bench, Sam O’Malley nearly made an instant impact in the 62nd minute when his looped effort came back off the crossbar. Callum Sallis saw a shot go wide after he was picked out by a Lewis Andrew set piece delivery.

Bullement produced a fantastic cross in the 78th minute to pick out O’Malley who put an effort wide of the Hedon goal. Hedon took the lead late on with former Rangers player Wood getting on the scoresheet to clinch all three points. It also means that Hedon have done the double over Hall Road in the league this season.

Hall Road Rangers: Withill, Waud, Murray, Sallis, Miller (Wray 72’), Andrew (C), Loughton (Harrison 77’), Bullement, Iversen, Salter (O’Malley 59’), Oliver.

Subs Not Used: Emmerson, Chaffer.

Hall Road joint manager Chris Burke was disappointed that his side were ultimately left empty handed:

“We started the game with plenty of energy and possession and created many chances, but we were unable to convert them. This carried on as the pattern of the game progressed.

As we all know, goals win games and we just couldn’t get the ball in the back of the net.

Energy and commitment wise, I couldn’t have asked for more from the lads. They carried on plugging away even after going down to 10 men in the latter stages of the second half due to an injury to James Murray after all three substitutions had been made. It was at this point that Hedon caught us on the break to get the only goal of the game.

As a group, we’ve learnt more lessons about what is required at this level and we know that we certainly have to start putting away the chances we keep creating.

The lads will dust themselves down and we’ll take stock and go into training on Wednesday to get ready for what’ll be another tough game away at Hornsea Town.

I’d like to thank all the committee and supporters for their time on Saturday and look forward to seeing you back at Haworth Park soon.”