Hall Road Rangers and Hessle Rangers both took a point from a 2-2 draw at Haworth Park on Saturday.

In control of the game in the first half, Hall Road had an early opportunity in the third minute when Tom Oliver had an effort saved. Tommy Waud fired a shot wide in the 15th minute and then Kian Salter saw his strike saved three minutes later.

Hall Road eventually took the lead in the 19th minute. Dave Harrison produced a cool finish to slot the ball home and claim his second goal of the season. In the 22nd minute, Sam O’Malley hit the post with a shot and then saw the rebound cleared off the line by the Hessle defence.

Harrison almost had his second goal of the game, minutes later, as his effort hit the side netting whilst Sam Loughton saw a shot saved. At the other end, Jordan Douglas produced a couple of good saves to prevent the visitors from equalising.

The second half initially was a completely different game altogether as Hessle began to have sustained possession of the ball. They got back on level terms in the 47th minute.

Later in the half, Hall Road regained some momentum and looked to go back in front. They came close to doing so when Waud and Luke Bullement both had efforts saved. However, Conner Harman restored Hall Road’s lead in the 84th minute when some neat footwork allowed him to find space and send a strike into the back of the Hessle net.

The lead could have been extended as Lewis Andrew’s free kick was well saved and then Loughton saw his shot parried away. Just before full-time, Hessle broke Hall Road hearts and made it 2-2 when the ball was bundled over the line. This result means Hall Road remain in sixth place in the Humber Premier League Premier Division table.

Hall Road Rangers: Douglas, Waud, J. Hall, Chaffer, Miller, Andrew (C), Loughton, Oliver, Harrison, Salter (Bullement 71’), O’Malley (Harman 71’).

Subs Not Used: Withill, Sallis.

Hall Road joint manager Leon Sewell gave a mixed reaction to his side’s performance:

“We’ve picked a point up and a point a piece is probably fair on both teams.

I thought we were exceptional in the first half. We kept the ball well, played through the thirds and created numerous chances.

We’ve just not started in the second half and we were very slow out of the blocks. Hessle were always going to come at us when it was just 1-0. When games are tight, we have to be resolute and see the danger out.

To concede in the last minute is something we’ve experienced twice now at home. We’ve experienced it on the winning side of things away at Hessle Sporting and it just shows that there’s a bit of a pattern. The pattern is basically the fact that nobody’s going to roll over and die.

Fair play to Hessle. They kept chipping away in that second half and I thought they gave a really good account of themselves and they’ve pinched a point at the death.

We had a really good talk beforehand with the players about purpose and that togetherness. That definitely showed in the first half and towards the end of the game when we’ve scored our second to put us back in the lead.

As the saying goes, goals win games and clean sheets win titles. If we score our chances today, then the game should have been done at half-time.”