Hall Road Rangers earned a seventh consecutive league win on Saturday with a 4-0 victory against Cherry Burton FC at Haworth Park.

In the opening minutes, both sides had chances to take the lead. Cherry Burton put a free-kick over the bar in the fourth minute. For Rangers, Jordan Hall saw a header go wide in the ninth minute.

With 11 minutes on the clock, Rangers took the lead. A counter attacking move, cleverly started by keeper Haydn Withill, resulted in Joel Shepard slotting the ball home after being teed up by Tom Iversen. This was Shepard’s first goal for the club. Eight minutes later, Withill produced an outstanding save which prevented Cherry Burton from equalising.

In the 29th minute, Jordan Hall went close again to getting on the scoresheet with a shot which was saved. There was a big let off for Rangers, just before half-time, as the visitors sent a header just wide.

Rangers carved out plenty of opportunities from the outset of the second half. Shepard had a header go wide whilst Iversen’s effort was saved after he nicked the ball from a Cherry Burton defender. Iversen made it 2-0 in the 61st minute with a slick finish after meeting Mason Chaffer’s cross.

The lead was increased in the 69th minute through a Rob Hall free-kick which he placed into the Cherry Burton net to get his fourth goal of the season. Lewis Andrew nearly bagged a goal with a long range effort that hit the crossbar. Cherry Burton squandered a chance to pull a goal back in the 76th minute when they blazed a penalty well over the bar.

Iversen got his second goal of the game in the 79th minute after a scramble in the Cherry Burton box. This made it seven goals so far this season for himself.

MOTM- Tom Iversen sponsored by Newbegin Financial Services

Hall Road Rangers: Withill, Pulford, J. Hall (Phillips 79’), Chaffer, Bullement, Andrew (C), R. Hall, Shepard, Miller (Harrison 60’), Oliver (Davies 79’), Iversen.

Giving his post-match thoughts, Rangers boss Chris Burke said:

“Pleased is probably the best way to put it. Obviously, the result on Wednesday night wasn’t the best. I said to the lads after the LIV game and before this game that I wanted a reaction.

First half, we should have been better. We went in 1-0 up with a bit of momentum. Had a good chat at half-time and told them we needed to just raise our standards and our levels.

To be fair, they’ve come out and they’ve done that. They’ve scored another three good goals in the second half and it could’ve been more. It got a little bit scrappy towards the end, but it’s a Humber Prem game and it’s bound to happen some weeks.

The main thing is it’s now seven out of seven. I’m not sure how the other results have gone, but we’re creeping up there and we’ve just got to keep doing what we’re doing. If we do that and the lads carry on what’s asked of them and what’s expected of them, let’s see what happens come the end of the season.

The clean sheet is another added bonus. Haydn’s pulled off a very good save in the first half to keep it at 1-0. A special mention probably has to go to Fin today. I think he’s stood up and been counted, so plaudits to him. All the boys have dug in, done a shift and we’ve got our three points.”