Hall Road Rangers picked up a second successive league victory by winning 0-4 against St Mary’s AFC at Hull University on Saturday.

Tom Iversen came close to putting Rangers in front in the 10th minute when his shot was saved. Immediately after this, Luke Bullement was denied as his effort was tipped away.

St Mary’s posed some danger to the Hall Road goal in the 17th minute when a quick attacking move resulted in a shot going just wide. Ten minutes later, Bullement had another shot saved after he connected with Iversen’s cut back.

In the 33rd minute, a Lewis Andrew free-kick picked out Jordan Hall who sent his header just wide. Meanwhile, the hosts forced Haydn Withill to produce a very good save in the 40th minute and the subsequent rebound was put wide.

Rangers took the lead right before the break. Andrew produced an excellent delivery and Hall got on the end of it to produce a bullet header that flew into the back of the net.

Inside the first few minutes of the second half, Andrew almost doubled Hall Road’s lead with a long range effort which he flashed wide. Rangers made it 0-2 in the 51st minute through Dave Harrison’s fifth goal of the season as he slotted home from Andrew’s pass in what was a Netherlands inspired smart free-kick routine.

Andrew went close once again to getting on the scoresheet in the 65th minute with a free-kick which was tipped onto the bar. Hall bagged his second goal of the game, two minutes later, with another fine header after connecting with an Andrew set piece delivery.

In the 77th minute, Rangers got their fourth goal. A pass from Andrew created an opportunity for Bullement to strike and his drilled effort nestled in the St Mary’s net as he bagged his fourth goal of the campaign.

This win leaves Rangers just one point adrift of the top five. However, they’ve played more games than the sides around them in the Humber Premier League Premier Division table.

MOTM- Lewis Andrew sponsored by Tony Hardy/ Hop & Vine and Jordan Hall sponsored by Connexin

Hall Road Rangers: Withill, J. Hall, Murray, Chaffer, Waud (Pulford 68’), Andrew (C), Wray, Shepard, Bullement (Loughton 83’), Harrison (Salter 78’), Iversen.

Subs Not Used: Davies, Miller.

Rangers boss Chris Burke was pleased to pick up another three points:

“Coming into the game, we were unsure what to expect with St Mary’s positive result last week. Looking to follow up our own positive result and performance, we knew we’d have to be at our best.

The first half was a positive affair for us as we dominated possession, but lacked the extra bit of quality required in the final third. We took the lead with a well worked goal, but couldn’t add to it before half-time. This was due to an inspired performance from the St Mary’s keeper who pulled off numerous impressive saves.

I had a stern chat with the lads at half-time and said that if we upped the work rate and applied the quality I know we have in the side then we’d add to our goal tally. Sure enough, we added a further three goals. More importantly for the lads, we kept a well deserved clean sheet.

It was a nice way to finish off the year and we now have the luxury of an extended break. However, the lads will still be ticking over and we’ll look to continue the positive results come the New Year.

I would also like to take this moment to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I look forward to seeing you all in 2023.”