Hall Road Rangers secured a league double over Hessle Sporting Club by claiming a 5-3 victory at Haworth Park on Saturday.

There was a moment of danger for Rangers inside the first minute as Liam Taylor tipped away a Hessle Sporting free-kick. Seven minutes later, Rangers created a glorious chance to take the lead as Dave Harrison teed up Tom Iversen who put his effort wide.

Paul Wray thought he gave Rangers the lead in the 13th minute, but his effort was ruled out by the referee. However, Rangers did take the lead in the 15th minute. Harrison ran through on goal and coolly slotted the ball into the Hessle Sporting net to get his third goal of the season.

In the 20th minute, it looked like Rangers had doubled their lead. Tom Oliver produced a great finish, but the referee chalked off the goal. Hessle Sporting subsequently equalised in the 29th minute through a Sam Tucker effort. Tucker struck again in the 42nd minute to put the visitors in front.

Tom Iversen got Rangers back on level terms in the 48th minute. After some pinball in the Hessle Sporting box, Iversen was on hand to poke the ball home and get on the scoresheet against his former club. Tucker secured his hat-trick in the 53rd minute and restored Hessle Sporting’s lead.

Despite this setback, Rangers fought back and made it 3-3 in the 56th minute. Some great footwork from Harrison opened up an opportunity for himself to shoot and he bagged his second goal of the game. It became 4-3 in the 71st minute when Wray pounced on a loose ball and bundled it over the line.

Rangers increased their lead and made things slightly more comfortable for themselves in the 75th minute. An excellent cross from Harrison picked out Tommy Waud who headed the ball home to secure his first goal of the season.

This victory has moved Rangers back up to sixth place in the Humber Premier League Premier Division table.

MOTM- Dave Harrison sponsored by LA’S Community Care

Hall Road Rangers: Taylor, Murray, J. Hall, Chaffer, Bullement (Davies 90’), Andrew (C), Harrison, Shepard, Wray (Loughton 82’), Oliver, Iversen (Waud 59’).

Rangers manager Chris Burke was delighted with his side’s second half performance:

“To be fair, it was actually a really, really enjoyable game to be a part of. It’s what I call a typical, good old fashioned Humber Premier game. It’s a cold winter’s day down here at Haworth, the rain decided to come in, the pitch was going to cut up and it was two teams going at it like they should do.

We made a couple of changes to the way we play and set up a little bit differently. I had a good word with the lads and told them if they stick to the principles and do what’s asked of them properly then we’d get the result.

We had two goals chalked off for offside which as everybody would say is dubious but they were, to me, two very good goals that we scored that were chalked off. Obviously, it’s hard without a linesman so you have to take it on the chin.

Going in at 1-2, we had a good chat at half-time. I just said to the lads stick to what you’ve been asked, go about your work, roll up your sleeves, dig in and you’ll get your just rewards.

We’ve come out in the second half and basically played them off the park. It wasn’t pretty at times, but it was never going to be on a day like today.

It’s nice personally for me to get that monkey off my back in getting my first three points of being solely in charge. It’s also nice for the lads to stop the rot and obviously for the club as well.

We move on next week to St Mary’s which’ll probably be another tough game.”